Saturday 2nd June 2012 was a significant day in the history of Visventis. Olly and I satisfied ourselves that the rig we have built can control a kite. We were lucky with the weather and the wind was strong enough to easily launch the kites, and we could control them with the steering bar. This is the critical factor that we wanted to prove before moving to the next stage of the project. Success!
The rig parts about to be assembled.
There were inevitable teething troubles particularly since we have built the rig with a philosophy of keeping everything as simple and cheap as possible. After all, the idea is that future rigs will be constructed by poor people with limited resources. The kite lines kept jumping off the pulleys which caused them to get frayed and break. This was expected, but we were hoping that it would not be serious enough to force us to have to construct tether guides.
There had been concern that the inability of the steering bar to move backwards and forwards would cause problems by preventing the kite reacting to changing wind, but we are now satisfied that it will not.
Here is how it works.
Robert about to mount the support beam and chair onto the support post.
- Olly with the support beam (without chair).
Robert with the steering bar.
Securing the rig to the ground
The pilot's view of the kite about to be launched.
The kite flying.
Home time after a good day.
Removing the chains that stop the support ring twisting.
All packed up and ready to go.
More photos and video footage will be posted soon. We thank Paul, the farm owner, for allowing us to use his land for this test.
The next phase of the project is to get a generator attached. Olly and I are very much part time on this project, so now that we are far more confident that the basic idea is good we need to step up our efforts to find more volunteers to help. Hopefully the above photos adequately illustrate how our concept works and you will be inspired to contribute. Please contact us and/or spread the news.